Name Change for Enrolled Agents?

published July, 2010

And now that I’ve got the T-Shirt in the works, the IRS says “This would be an excellent time to change the name of Enrolled Agents.” To what, we don’t’ know. We’ll wait for the IRS to tell us, but a name suggested at the CSEA meeting in June was “Certified Tax Professionals” Since they’re adding a new “line” of preparers—possibly named Registered Tax Preparers—the IRS is using this as an opportunity to change the EA designation in title only. We’ll still be able to prepare taxes and represent taxpayers, but perhaps with a more descriptive name.