Where’s my Refund?

published April, 2007

Paper filed Federal returns take up to six weeks, electronically filed returns take up to three weeks. (Amended return refunds take 8-12 weeks).

To check the status of your refund, the IRS has an on-line service called “Where’s My Refund?” at https://sa2.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp 
or you can call 800 829-1954, but they want you to wait 4 weeks after you mail your return to call.

You’ll need your Social Security Number, filing status (MFJ, Single, etc) and the exact amount of the refund shown on your return. Of course, it will be down this week-end, but should work after that. They say you can “run a trace” if you don’t receive your refund within 28 days.

California also has an on-line version at http://www.ftb.ca.gov/online/refund/index.asp and you’ll need your SSN, Mailing address and the refund amount.